In July 1957 the NSW Railways began to take delivery of 100 Alco World Series DL-500B locomotives. Built in 3 batches (4401 to 4460 {Mk1}, 4461 to 4480 {Mk2} and 4481 to 44100 {Mk3}). In their heydey, these locomotives operated every type of mainline passenger and freight service.
44 class locomotives are used on many of our mainline tours.

4464 entered service in January 1966 and was withdrawn in 1994.
It is presently being restored and should return to service during 2008.

4464 is owned by the Lachlan Alco locomotive group.